Crispy Tomato Quiche
For 6-8 servings (28 cm Deep Tart Dish).
Preparation time : 15 min
Cooking time : 50 min
For the « PASTRY »
- 4-6 4-6 filo or brick pastry sheets
- 5 cl /1 ¾ oz olive oil
For the filling
- 500 g / 1 lb ripe tomatoes (mix the colours and types : Crimea, yellow or cherry tomatoes…)
- 200 g / 7 oz grated cheese (emmental, cheddar ...)
- 7 eggs
- 30cl / 5 ½ fl oz single cream
- 1 tablespoon corn flour
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp mustard
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- 5 leaves basil (to decorate)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. (th.6).
- Wash the tomatoes and cut the larger ones into thin slices. (Do not cut the cherry tomatoes and keep the stalk for an attractive presentation)
- Peel the garlic cloves and chop them finely.
- 4. Place the first filo sheet in the tart dish, having brushed the surface with olive oil. Then add the other sheets, also brushed with olive oil, overlapping them so that the entire surface of the tart dish is covered, including the inside edges. Sprinkle the corn flour over the surface and place in the refrigerator for 5 minutes.
- Break the eggs into a mixing bowl and whisk. Add the cream, mustard and garlic, then season. Add the grated cheese.
- Pour the mixture into the tart base and delicately arrange the tomatoes on top.
- Place in the oven and cook for 50 minutes. Check if cooked by inserting the tip of a knife. If not cooked, place a sheet of baking foil over the top and cook for an extra 5 or 10 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly before sprinkling the basil leaves over the top and serving with a fresh green salad.
- You can replace the grated cheese with an italian cheese called Fontina.
- For additional flavour, sprinkle mixed herbs, oregano or fresh herbs between each sheet of filo pastry.
- You can also prepare a quick pesto sauce with almonds, to be poured over the top just before serving (whiz together in a food processor 30g/1 oz fresh basil, 35g/1 ¼ oz ground almonds, 2 garlic cloves, 50g/1 ¾ oz grated parmesan; add 8cl/3 ½ tblsp olive oil, salt and pepper)